There may have been a lot of things you got away with as a kid. But now you know better, we hope. If you’re like most people, you live your life aligned with the expectations of society, but is everything you to comply with really for your own good?
Laws, regulations, rules, and more rules. But are they all authentic from the standpoint of karma, freedom, and personal responsibility?
In your spiritual quest, maybe you’ve asked yourself, “What is permissible behavior in a karmic sense? What won’t make me gain negative karma?”
Our findings by over 25 years of empirical research on the issue tell us that it’s mostly a matter of making sure you don’t deliberately hurt anyone, or yourself.
Morality is frequently subjective; be cautious of traditional wisdom involving “right and wrong.” We believe you won’t ever be punished in the afterlife for many behaviors that are deemed iniquitous in today’s world.
Below we list seven things that are frowned upon in many societies, however won’t make you incur any negative karma.
1. Breaking up with someone: in other words, dumping him or her. As long as you’re not trying to harm them in the time of action, you’re in the clear. If it’s over for you, the best thing you can do is leave peacefully. By the way, staying when it’s over for you and not freeing them so they can find someone more compatible could incur negative karma.
2. The act of divorce. Yes, you vowed to be with him or her forever, but feelings change, as do people. An ex who drags their feet and makes it very difficult, out of spite, for the one who wants to leave, however, will incur negative karma.
3. Prostitution between two consenting adults. What about a sex worker (or non sex worker) who has sex with 100s, already 1000s of people? Isn’t that an ethical offense? No, only if you’re under the mistaken impression that sex is wrong or dirty, and in terms of karma, it isn’t.
Sleeping with more than one person will consequence in zero negative karma being picked up, as long as you’re not ripping off or hurting anyone. In fact, due to the healing benefits of sex, you may already gain positive karma, especially if you’re good in bed. Sex between two consenting adults, no matter if one (or both) is getting paid, just as with matrimonial prostitution, is nobody’s business but theirs.
noticeable sanctimoniousness, arising from warped morality and corrupt religiosity, is the root source of many laws today relating to sex and intimate relationships. Interestingly, those who force their personal, subjective morality onto others, by laws that rob personal freedoms, incur negative karma.
4. Living together before marriage. Another religiously based banned act, however zero negative karma related to it.
5. Having children out of wedlock. Absolutely no bad karma acquired here, as long as you don’t neglect your responsibilities.
6. Having an open relationship or marriage. Yes, already if you have 100 lovers at the same time, as long as you are honest about it and you haven’t made any false promises or deliberately hurt anyone, you are in the clear. Just act responsibly, including having safe sex.
7. Homosexuality. Interpret ancient religious texts as you choose, but consensual sex between two people of the same gender won’t incur negative karma, at all.
It’s best to avoid illegal conduct, however you’ll spare yourself the guilt if you live your life in accordance with an understanding of the law of karma instead of the restrictive code of conduct forced on you by the morality squad.
Copyright © Scott Petullo, Stephen Petullo